What is wrong with this picture?
If you choose C, MISSING SOME VAPOR BARRIER, you are correct.
The vapor barrier is missing about a foot of protection around the middle of this home, therefor defeating the purpose of the vapor barrier entirely.
So be honest, how many times have you seen this? We see it quite a bit… but certainly not from our builders! According to Jeanette Fitzgerald of WoodSmart Solutions, Inc. there is an estimated $9-10 billion is spent correcting construction defects each year. 80 Percent of those defects are moisture related, and 41 percent of those developed in the envelope of the building.
What problem does this cost for the builder? Here are just a few.
- Molds and toxins can infect indoor air quality.
- Moisture related problem can affect the health of homeowners.
- Potential legal problems from said homeowner.
- The fact that termites love a deliciously moist house. Ew.
How do you fix it?
- A decent sewing class
- Buy three wishes
- Hire EnergyLogic to QA your blah
- blah blah blah la lah.
Visit our Water Management page to learn more. Also, feel free to call Robby Schwarz directly at 720-838-0677 for more info on Water Management Services for you. (You can email him too, if you’d rather!)